COLLAGE MAGAZINE Talks with...THE WEIRDS
WHO IS BEHIND The Weirds?
:: The Creator Dood - Chris Hawley (CH)
WHAT ARE THE WEIRDS?
:: The Weirds are a toy brand based on a collection of original characters that are anything but normal. They're awesomely odd, born to promote individuality. Normal is LAME! Embrace Your Weird!
WHAT MAKES YOU BETTER THAN THAN YOUR COMPETITION?
:: There is nothing out there that looks like The Weirds - they are completely unique. But also our message of “embracing your weird” sets us apart.
WHY THE MOVE INTO THE LICENSING SPACE?
:: It’s a good fit. Fashion is all about being unique. A new toy brand might raise a few eyebrows and is maybe not the normal pairing with fashion, but that is the draw, be unexpected. The Weirds, characters, colors and messaging can be a perfect match.
WHAT IS YOUR USP?
:: Confidence in being different.
WHAT IS YOUR MISSION + VISION?
:: We don't have a specific mission statement? We have a mantra: 'NORMAL IS LAME' and 'EMBRACE YOUR WEIRD!'
:: I think in the end all we are trying to do is spread belief in yourself. Kids especially feel pressure to fit into their environment and social pressures can be intense. The Weirds just provide a simple vehicle of expression with subtle messaging. Hopefully we can provide a little push of confidence. You want to rock your green mohawk? Do it, you make the world a cooler place!
WHAT ARE YOUR IMMEDIATE GOALS?
- Focused on spreading awareness of The Weirds brand and messaging through social media platforms.
- Interact with and have more people JOIN our Weird movement!
- Push sales through our newly launched online store.
- Pair up with independent retailers to sell product in-store.
- To say the word “rad” more in sentences.
- To refill my coffee cup.
- Obtain global Weirdness! Haha! Extend the reach of the characters and messaging outside of the US.
- Maintain relationships with fans/followers. We want The Weirds to always feel reachable, fun, and interactive because we hope to represent all the people out there that feel out of the “norm”. We take that seriously.
- It’s very important for us to keep the brand fresh. The message will always be the same, but we want to continue to develop new characters and situations to deliver that message.
- Small batch run Weirds.
- Custom one-off Weirds.
- To get into small plastic/vinyl toys for product.
- Expanding license opportunities.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD WE KNOW ABOUT THE WEIRD?
:: The world needs people that think differently. Albert Einstein, Picasso, Ellen DeGeneres, Gwen Stefani, Betsey Johnson, Steve Jobs, MLK, Muhammad Ali, Oprah, Mark Cuban, Lady Ga Ga, etc… I could go on and on.
But “weird” people are the RISK TAKERS, the EXPLORERS, and the INNOVATORS!
:: We are for 7-14yr olds, but we are seeing a positive response from creative people of all ages.
Since launching, we've garnered over 50,000 followers and it's growing steadily every day. That’s really good considering we aren’t an established “thing”.
:: It shows that we are being talked about and shared and people are relating to all of our weirdness. And that’s pretty rad!
PLEASE COMPLETE this sentence...
The world needs more...
WE STARTED The Weirds because...
:: ...starting something from scratch is such a cool feeling. It’s like trying to conquer an impossible mountain, but if you take your time, stay focused and just keep moving forward you can make the dream happen.
Oh… and I love working on it. : )
:: ...whatever makes you happy.
:: ...my wife and two crazy kids, family, friends, music, art, coffee, the surroundings, my Jeep Wrangler, junk piles and more coffee…
:: I also love those crazy little rubber finger monsters. Those are so awwwwwesome!
Shop The Story |
+ Currently we are selling online at www.theweirds.com. We will be available soon in various independent retailers. So check us out.
+ Rep The Weirds with Plush, Ts, Coloring Book, Lanyard, Buttons or Stickers!
Name: Chris Hawley
Justice K Kwarteng + The COLLAGE Magazine Team
:: collage magazine is your editorially curated visual content platform + network. |
LET'S STAY IN TOUCH |
@iamcollagemag | @ iamcollage.us
An Editorial Content Network + Social Commerce Platform.